Are you looking for ways to celebrate the MLK Day of Service on January 16, 2017? In addition to the many titles we own, you can enjoy several streaming videos about Martin Luther King, Jr. including Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: The Making of a Holiday from our Films on Demand collection. The Civil Rights Digital Library delivers engaging online articles and multimedia related to the struggle for racial equality in the 1950s and 1960s and of course GALILEO @ Clayton State has articles, images, videos and the full text of the “I Have a Dream” speech.
The Clayton State Annual Dr. Martin Luther King (MLK), Jr. Celebration is a collaborative effort between the Department of Campus Life, AmeriCorps, Diversity Education Experiences for Peers (D.E.E.P.) Educators, the Tau Epsilon Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, CSU Student Chapter of the NAACP, and the Student African American Brotherhood (SAAB) to commemorate the life of Dr. King and significant events that occurred during the Civil Rights movement.
Jan. 13 – Jan. 16 — Cultural Immersion Trip to Washington, D.C.
Jan. 19— Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration, 7:00 pm, SAC Ballroom
More information about these events is available here.
You may also be interested in these activities and volunteer opportunities happening on MLK Day:
- African American History Tours at Oakland Cemetery
- Free (Donations encouraged)
- Service Opportunity with Lost-n-Found Youth
- This service project will benefit homeless and at risk LBGTQ youth in Atlanta
- The King Center’s Annual Commemorative Service
- 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, The King Center, Auburn Ave. Atlanta
- Preservation and Restoration of the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site
- Assist in the National Park Service in restoring and preserving the MLK National Historic Site
Check out these links for more cultural and service opportunities this Martin Luther King Day:
- Atlanta Journal Constitution: Where to Volunteer for MLK Day of Service
- Things to do in Atlanta for MLK Day and Black History Month